Sunday, October 18, 2009

A little church history

So a couple of months ago Jay decided that we were going to take his parents on a church history tour. They have been wanting to go and he thought this would be a good time to go. We told his sister, Myrna that we were going and she wanted to come along. The more the merrier, right? So I started playing travel agent and made all the reservations for plane tickets, hotels, and car rental. This took forever because for those of you that know me, I always try and find the best deal that I can before I book something. So it took a while, but I got it all done. And I should say that I did a pretty good job.
This past Friday we set off on our adventure. We drove to Las Vegas and stayed the night there because our flight left at 9:30 the next morning and we didn't want to get up early and drive down that morning. We got to Las Vegas that night and I was able to book a 2 bedroom suite for only $60.00. That's right only $60! Can you believe it? It was a little off the strip, but it had 2 bedrooms with a kitchenette in it. As we got settled in, we realized right away that one of the air conditioners in the rooms wasn't working. Las Vegas had been in the 90's that day. Just to say, it was a little hot that night.

The next morning we got up early so that we could be to the airport the 2 hours that you are supposed to, got through security ok, ate some breakfast and then waited for our departure, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. About 20 minutes before it was time for our flight to leave they announce over the intercom that our flight we be delayed because the plane we were going to be flying in and been struck by lightning and they had to do a thorough inspection of the plane. WHAT!!!! HIT BY LIGHTNING!!!! This was the first sign of a VERY LONG DAY!!!


So about 2 hours after our plane was supposed to leave, we finally took off, but not after some hours of worrying about what we were going to do when we got to Denver because we had already missed the connecting flight to Kansas City before we even left Las Vegas! The airline people weren't much help because they had to deal with a plane full of people in the same situation. I tried calling the airline myself to see what would be available later that day and they told me the only flight available was that night, but it was already booked. GREAT!!! We are going to be stuck in Denver with a rental car and hotel waiting for us in Kansas City.


To make a long story short, we arrived in Denver and practically ran to the airline customer service counter to see what we could do. The lady told us there is good news and bad news. They ended up putting us on another airline to Kansas City and it would leave within the hour. GOOD NEWS!! Our luggage would not be with us on the airline and they weren't sure when it would arrive in Kansas City. BAD NEWS!!! She did reassure us a little bit that it possibly would be put on the later flight that had been booked. Let's hope for the best.


We arrived in Kansas City about 4 hours later than we had planned and our luggage did arrive 3 hours after that. It all worked out. We are now in a little town called Cameron, Missourri. Today we went to sacrament meeting in Independence, Missourri, saw the future temple sight now owned by the Community oc Christ church. We also visited Liberty Jail and Far WEst. This part of the country is so beautiful! There are so many trees and the fall colors are starting to show. I would live in this place. Here are a few pictures that we took today. Sorry there aren't any pictures of us waiting around in the airport. HA HA.

Independence
This is the Community of Christ's temple (RLDS). Anybody can go in it. We should have, but didn't. I don't think it was open. REally wierd looking.




Liberty, Missouri

The visitor center is built around the jail. It is not the original fail, but the original jail site.

Behind us is the dungeon part of the jail where Joseph Smith and a few other men were kept from December until early April. I would go nuts in a place like this. It would always be dark except for a small window that allowed a little bit of light. Dark and cold!


Far West is a beautiful sight. I could imagine the pioneers living here among the beautiful trees and there is water everywhere! Here is the place where a future temple will be built. There are already four cornerstones laid in each of the four corners.

Tomorrow we will visit Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Jamesport (Amish town), Hannibal (Mark Twain hometown) and finally arrive in Nauvoo. The weather has been quite chilly. We hope it will be better before we get to Nauvoo.





































1 comments:

Tiffini said...

Boy does that look all to familiar, all except the delays!! So sorry for that! I know I just did that trip, but so jealous! I could make that trip all the time. It's so neat! Hope the rest the trip goes better!!