For our youth conference this year, our stake went on a trek near hole in the rock. We were supposed to go to Wyoming, but somehow it fell through and I believe we were meant to go on this other trek. We were only the second stake to have gone on this trek. It was not easy but so worth it. We learned so much about the pioneers who settled the San Juan Valley and what they went through. Other than the Martin handcart caompanies, I believe the hole in the rock pioneers had it so much harder than the pioneers who came across to the Salt Lake Valley. What was supposed to be a six week journed lasted about six months. I could not believe some of the terrain they had to pull their wagons through. It was really amazing. The part that we trekked was the very end of the pioneers journey before they reached their destination. We hiked up San Juan Hill where the pioneers lost many animals because they were so worn out from the long journey. You could see in the sandstone rock where the wagon wheels had carved a rut through and also the hoove marks from the oxen and horses. Today, i don't think I would even take a four wheeler up that supposed road the pioneers took their horses and wagons up. It was amazing!! And the best part was when you got to the top of the hill, the pioneers had carved "We Thank Thee O God" in the side of the sandstone mountain. You could barely see it, but it was still there! These pioneers had so much faith to leave all they had to fulfill the calling they had been called. IT made me think about all the things we should be thankful for. We have many trials in our lives, but they only make us stronger and we should be thankful for them just as the pioneers were thankful, very thankful!
This was at the top of San Juan Hill where we had a fireside with our stake president. The lower half was part of the trail that the pioneers went up. REally rocky! This was most of the youth that went.
This is me and my family bringing our handcart down a steep sandy hill. We had to turn it around and hold it back so none of us would get run over. I was holding the wheel.
This is my family again getting a run for it as we go up a hill.

I was put in charge of showing the kids how to make rag rugs. It took me almost 2 hours to make a rag rug the size of a coaster. I can't imagine how long it took to make an acutal rug! It was VERY windy and dusty that first day. AWFUL! So much dust in the air!

This is Kalin and his family. I am so glad that Kalin went with us! I didn't see much of him because they split all the friends and families up and put them in different pioneer families, but I hope he had a good time.
They are planning on going again in four years. The twins will be able to go. YEH!

0 comments:
Post a Comment