Monday, June 23, 2008

Mickelson Reunion

Jay and I attended his family reunion up in Manti over the weekend. The kids went to Las Vegas with their dad and Sasha, Barry and Ta'Kara came up on Saturday. We left Friday morning around 8:45 am hoping to attend the 1:30 session at the temple there. I have never been there so I was really excited that we would be able to go while we were in Manti. Well all was going really well until we stopped in Richfield for lunch around 11:00 am. We ate at Arby's and headed out. Just before we were about to get on the freeway, we heard some screeching noise. Jay had the impression to check the tires of our tent trailer. All morning he had had the impression to check the tires, but nothing seemed wrong, he even had the spare tire fixed the day before. Anyway, this time when he checked the tires he noticed that there were metal shavings all over the rim of the tire. Yes, the wheel bearings on the tire were completely worn out. We were really lucky to have made it that far. The wheel could have come off at any moment. We drove slowly to a place that sells RV's and four wheelers hoping that they could help us. They checked it and said that it was so bad that we needed a whole new axle. WOW! About 4 hours later of sitting around, going to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Walkers', and just standing around, they informed us that they could not locate the right size of axle that our trailer needed and that they would have to special order one and that would take about 4 - 6 weeks. WOW! WOW! What were we going to do? Well we did happen to pack a spare tent if any needed one, so I guess that would be US! We loaded everything (blankets, sleeping bags, foam cushions, ice chests, and everything else we could think of that we needed to be somewhat comfortable while camping) and loaded and crammed it into the back seat of the truck and the back of the truck. It barley fit, and we headed to Manti. We left the trailer there and said call us when it is done. Sad to say that we did not make it to the temple. Someone was working extra hard for us not to make it.

We had a good time at the reunion. We stayed two nights in Manti. The second night we attended the Manti pageant. It was really good. They have added a lot since I last saw it about 4 years ago. My favorite scene was when Christ appeared to the Nephites after his resurrection.



I did not take any pictures at the reunion. I took my camera, but forgot or just didn't feel like taking any pictures since my kids were not there. We got home Sunday night - hot, tired and dirty, but we had a really good time. I am really glad to be a part of Jay's family. They are a wonderful group of people. Thanks for making it fun and memorable - one memory I will never forget was all the mosquitos. I have never seen so many and so big of mosquitos in my life! We all came home with at least 5 or more mosquito bites. YIKES!!!!!

4 comments:

Tiffini said...

Tell me about those mosquito's I try not to go out when they are and I still have about 15 bites. They are extra huge here huh.

Tiffini said...

Oh ya Kelsie had youth conference about 2 blocks from my house.

Tulsi said...

Hi Jay,
Brie found lots of her friends on the internet who had blogs and I was curious as to how to do it. She can't one up me!! Thought I'd say hi. Kass is leaving for Army Basic Training July 7 for 5 months and I'm trying not to think to much about that. (Then comes home and about 2 months later he goes on his mission) WOW! A grandpa. I told Brie that I could be mother of the bride, but not a grandma yet. Mikele just started high school. I can do one thing at a time. One thing Brie loves is that Jenny Shelley lives just a few houses up from me. I guess she went from being your neighbor to ours. Kass was Ordained an Elder when he turned 18 so JD had someone to sit by at church. Since she's "family", we'll keep her. Her baby is due in Sept. and Steve and I are plan B if JD isn't readily available to get her to the hospital. JD actually likes the idea of Lights and Sirens, so we may move up to plan A. Brie and Jenny's husband's are friends now, Which is a good thing because Jenny all but put it in the marriage/ friend contract that they would become so if Shane married Brie. You have a cute family. It has grown some:). Well, just wanted to say hi. I think I remember Jill from the class reunion. I could be wrong. Sorry, I'm still me - can't make a short story short.
Tulsi

Gull Family said...

we also went to the pageant and i have never seen that big and many mosquito's either. they were awful.