Thursday, October 2, 2008

Kennedie's sweet and sticky store


The first Thursday of every month the fourth graders put on a little store where certain students in each class sign up sell stuff to earn money (not real money). They use this money for a lot of different things. It teaches them about budgeting and how to handle money. Well today it was Kennedie's turn to have a store. We debated over what she could sell. I didn't really have time to do very much because of work and other things going on. Last night about 8:00 we decided to do caramel apples. Our tree in our backyard has been full of apples and i wasn't sure what to do with them so we thought caramel apples would be a good thing to sell and use up some of the apples. We also made some "crunchy munchy sweet stuff" (recipe on Tiffini's blog) and put some in little bags with curly ribbon and then the girls made their sign. We came home at lunch today, got the caramel apples ready, and headed back to school. I went in to see if she needed some help and saw some of the stores that other kids had. There were snow cones, Halloween cookies, miniature pumpkin pies, basketball shoot, chips, homemade rootbeer (yummy!), and a whole lot more. I'm sure the kids were all full by the end of the school day. Kennedie ended up selling all her caramel apples and most of her little bags of goodies. She had lots of fun. Tune in next month to see what Kierra will sell.

Kennedie did not want to smile. She was embarrassed. Here she is in front of her store. She had caramel apples, bags of goodies, boxes of popcorn that Jay brought home from the store, and Mrs. Fields individually wrapped cookies. She sold most minus a few bags of goodies. Way to sell Kennedie!

4 comments:

Gull Family said...

that sounds like a cute idea they will learn more that way rather than just playing with numbers like we had to do. Kids have so much fun in school now.

Brittani Terry said...

Too bad it isn't real money!!! Good Job Kennedie!!

Valerie said...

YUM! I'll buy her left overs! Our third grade use to do that with ALL third graders at the same time. It was crazy, but they all had such a great time! I can't wait to see Kierra's store!

Tiffini said...

I wish we could have done that when I was in school. What a fun idea! The cholcolate chex is a good idea I tried just regular chocolate but it was a disaster. I'd love to do your hair just hollar next time your up!
P.S. I do love the small towns!