Monday, October 6, 2008

Not ready for winter yet

(I couldn't get the pictures to move down so you get to see pictures first and read after)
In front of "the shed" that remodeled into sleeping quarters.

the cabin

We went on a ranger ride . It was so pretty! You could see the deer tracks on the freshly fallen snow.
snowball fight!!!!! My arm was sore the next day and I couldn't figure out why. A few hours later I realized it was sore because of the snowball fight. I'm out of shape!!!

This past weekend the family drove up to Brian Head to stay for a few days. Going to the cabin is one of my favorite places to go. It is so beautiful and peaceful up there. It wasn't exactly peaceful this time. When we got there, the wind was blowing. I was afraid one of the trees was going to blow down on us. The wind blew all night long and most of the next day. It also started to snow on Saturday. We couldn't really do much outside because it was cold. I kept telling everyone that this was God's way of saying "stay indoors and watch conference" which for the most part, we did. Some of the kids went outside and went sledding on part snow, part mud. They had fun and didn't get too dirty. Kim and Rob and their family were up there in their new cabin which is only about an eighth of a mile from my dad's cabin. They were having problems with the smoke detectors - they kept going off saying they needed new batteries. It was really annoying. Later Saturday afternoon the carbon monoxide detectors went off. They thought their was something wrong with the wiring because why would the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors go off at the same time. There didn't seem to be anything wrong. We watched movies and the kids were playing their all day long. Everything seemed okay. Well that night the snow fell and we got about 4 -5 inches of snow. It was really beautiful. There wasn't any wind, just the snow falling. It made we want to turn on Christmas music. No one would let me. As my dad went down to tell Kim and her family that breakfast was ready, he had a thought and hoped that they were alright. No one answered the door when he knocked. He really started to get worried because of the detectors going off the day before. Rob had unhooked them all the night before so they wouldn't keep going off. Anyway, my dad got really worried because no one was answering the door. Rob finally answered. They had all been sleeping still and didn't hear him knock, but they were all sick. They all had terrible headaches and my sister was nauseated and throwing up. They didn't know whay until they investigated the hookups to the generator and realized that the vents had been installed wrong. The whole time the heater had been going which was about 24 hours non stop, the carbon monoxide was being vented inside the cabin instead of going outside. They were all very lucky that nothing worse happened to them instead of just getting sick. My dad and Rob fixed the vents and as soon as they all got fresh air for a bit, they were okay. It was kind of scary. Other than that, we all had a good time visiting with each other, playing cards, and watching conference.

2 comments:

Brittani Terry said...

All my recipes come from the Taste o Home magazine. I love to try new recipes. That really is the only way to get me excited about cooking!! Josh has even liked the recipes I've chosen thus far for these next 2 weeks! He was the one who made the pumpkin ravioli. And I've used can pumpkin most of the time and then Josh used an acutal pie pumkin for the ravioli he made. A neighbor friend gave it to us.

Brittani Terry said...

All my recipes come from the Taste o Home magazine. I love to try new recipes. That really is the only way to get me excited about cooking!! Josh has even liked the recipes I've chosen thus far for these next 2 weeks! He was the one who made the pumpkin ravioli. And I've used can pumpkin most of the time and then Josh used an acutal pie pumkin for the ravioli he made. A neighbor friend gave it to us.