This past weekend people from all over (some as far as Australia) came to our little town for an event known as Western Legends. I believe this is probably the 7th 0r 8th year that they have had this event. It is an event celebrating our heritage as "Little Hollywood". Many of the old westerns were filmed right here or near here in Kanab. They invite some of the old movie stars from the classics and give them a plaque on our "Walk of Fame". If you walk along our main streets you will find many movie star plaques that you can stop and read about them. They have honored stars like John Wayne, Sammy Davis Jr, Roy Rogers and so many more. This year as I looked among the honorees I saw one that I recognized. I usually don't recognize them because most of them are before my time, but this one I recognized....... Grizzly Adams!! I remember watching this movie as a child and their many adventures together. I was fascinated that this huge bear and this man could get along so well.
As we walked through the booths, ate snow cones, listened to cowboy poetry and live singing, watched a stunt man show, and ate too much CRAP, I made sure that I looked out for this Grizzly Adams guy (Dan Haggerty). Most of the honorees were in a booth signing autographs. I looked and I looked and i looked and I thought maybe he shaved and looks different without a beard and being about 20 years older. I really couldn't tell which one he was.
Later that day as we were about to leave, they were announcing all the honorees and unvailing the plaques that were going to be put amongst our streets, I heard them say that Grizzly Adams was sorry he couldn't make it. What!! The one guy that I know could not make it!! So disappointed. Oh Well.
As we walked through the booths, ate snow cones, listened to cowboy poetry and live singing, watched a stunt man show, and ate too much CRAP, I made sure that I looked out for this Grizzly Adams guy (Dan Haggerty). Most of the honorees were in a booth signing autographs. I looked and I looked and i looked and I thought maybe he shaved and looks different without a beard and being about 20 years older. I really couldn't tell which one he was.
Later that day as we were about to leave, they were announcing all the honorees and unvailing the plaques that were going to be put amongst our streets, I heard them say that Grizzly Adams was sorry he couldn't make it. What!! The one guy that I know could not make it!! So disappointed. Oh Well.
Western Legends Stunt Men. They performed a couple of shows a day.
High noon parade. The parade has always started with a bunch of steers being herded down the streets.
Navajo Nation


0 comments:
Post a Comment