NAUVOO
We spent the entire day here in Nauvoo seeing some of the sites and ended with the Rendevous program put on by the missionaries. It was a good day and went by really fast. Only saw half of what there is to see. The program was hilarious and I actually saw a couple missionary from my old home town. We also went to the Land Records where I looked up some of my ancestors who had lived here and where they owned property. Pretty interesting. I found at least 6 ancestors (that I knew about) that lived here and did their endownments in the Nauvoo temple.
These are some of the graves in the Smith family plot. This is owned by the Community of Christ church. There are many other family members buried here along with some close friends.
Hyrum, Joseph, and Emma's burial site

Old Nauvoo Pioneer Burial Grounds
This was a beautiful old cemetery that we visited. It is a couple miles out of town. A lot of the headstones were unreadable and very old. We were wondering why the pioneers had their cemetery so far out of town. It took us at least 5 minutes in our car to get there. Very pretty. Almost like the sacred grove.

0 comments:
Post a Comment