Seriously, I have not seen this much rain EVER. After attending a session at the Nauvoo temple, which was absolutley amazing, we packed up and drove across the ENTIRE state of Iowa to Council Bluffs. We never turned off the windshield wipers once. Most of the time they were on high or next to high. It was a little scary at times. Looking on the weather channel, it said that just Nauvoo today got almost 2 inches of rain. That's like almost a whole year for us. It was amazing. I am really glad that we got all our sightseeing while we had such great weather!
Driving across Iowa, I now know why Iowa is called the corn huskers state. There is corn EVERYWHERE!!!! Not the corn on the cob corn, but now the corn is all dried up and the farmers are waiting for it to be completely dry before they can harvest it. Well, they will now have to wait a little longer after this rain storm. With the harvesting of the corn come the bugs. While we were at Adam ondi ahman we ran into some little bugs. They looked like lady bugs and we took picture of them and thougth how cute because they were everywhere. Well as we were talking to the missionaries, they said these bugs are really a nuisance! They are asian beetles that are supposed to eat the aphids off the corn stalks and now that the farmers are harvesting the corn, there is no where for them to go so they come in and are EVERYWHERE!! They were all over our clothes, in our car, in all the nauvoo site homes. EVERYWHERE! And we were told they bite. Even worse. So we went from "how cute" to "I'm sick of these things. How do we get rid of them!" But one good thing is they don't live very long and they don't come out when it is cold so we didn't see any today. YEH!
These bugs were everywhere. This picture doesn't do it justice as to how many were around.

3 comments:
Isn't there just an awesome spirit there i loved it and would like to go see more places next year
It sounds like you had a great trip. I would like to go to Nauvoo sometime. Good thing you know our geneology to, because I would of seen the home of Jacob Weiler and thought nothing of it. You are much better then I am with that . So what did you do with your kids?
Jay, I am so glad you got to the Nauvoo Temple. I am so envious of your trip.
Post a Comment