A few weeks ago we had a day off from school becaused of teacher data evaluation day. Woo Hoo!! That meant that I got the day off as well. It had been an unusually hot weekend so I decided that I would take the girls to Lake Powell for the day. I had been wanting to take them all summer long, but just never got around to it. They each brought a friend so I had four 11 year olds in my car. Let's just say it was pretty noisy.
I asked them if they would rather go to a nice sandy beach where there might be more people or to a place Kelsie and her friends go to that has rocks that you can jump off into the deep wather which might be a little less crowded. They decided to go to the rocks. Well we got there and we had to walk about 100 yards down rocks to where we found a spot all to ourselves. There was a little shallow area where the girls started trying to catch fish. It was a nice little spot. We had been there about 20 minutes when a Native American guy came up over the hill and started walking along the rock edge to where we were. I thought he would walk on by, but no, he sat down about 20 yards from us and sat and watched the girls as they swam. CREEPY!! He could have sat anywhere and he had to sit right by us!!!! I got a little nervous and then ALOT nervous! He sat which seemed like forever which was only about 10 minutes and then got up and walked off. While he was sitting there I called Jay to see what i should do. I wanted the man to see that I had contact with someone. Jay asked me if I had my gun with me. Of course not! We were at Lake Powell. Why would I think to have anything to worry about. I think he was just joking, but at the time I wished I had it with me, but it was back in the car 1oo yards away. When the guy finally got up and left he had to walk behind us. I made sure I kept my eye on him and my hand on the spray on sunscreen. Yes, the spray on sunscreen was the only weapon that I had and a pic (comb). If I had to I would spray him in the eyes and then yell at the girls to run. There was no one else around to help!!! Luckily, he walked on by but didn't go far. He hiked about 50 yards up a rock hill and sat in the shade overlooking the spot where we were at. He was still lookin at us!!!!!! by this time, Kierra was freaked out. We couldn't just leave because he was blocking the way back to the car. By this time i was getting REALLY uncomfortable and started praying that he would just go away and if he didn't that I would know what to do. Well, he sat there about15 - 20 minutes and then got up and disappeared behind some rocks. I didn't know if he was still there spying on us somewhere where we couldn't see him or he just left. I had hoped that he just left. I asked the girls if they wanted to go to Lone Rock on the beach and they didn't hesitate by saying yes. As we hiked back up to the car, i prayed that he would be gone and that we wouldn't run into him at the top. My prayers were answered and he was gone. Didn't know where he went, but we were glad he was gone and we headed on our way to Lone Rock where the girls had a fabulous time. They didn't want to leave. Note to myself - If I ever go back to that spot, I will definately had Jay with me. It was a nice spot but kind of secluded especially that time of year. I don't know what that guy was doing, whether he was out for just a nice little hike or not, but he didn't have to do it so close to us!!!!
Back to Blogging
12 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment