Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer fun

This summer is going by way to fast! It really hasn't felt like summer at all. Although it hasn't rained as much down here as it has up north, the temperatures have been mostly in the 70's latley which is actually the perfect temperature for me, but for all the campers, summer picnics, and swimmers, the weather has not been cooperating.

Last week was the annual food show in Salt Lake that Jay and I go to. This year we took Kierra and Kennedie with us and dropped them off at their cousin Megan's house in Draper and then we headed on up to downtown Salt Lake where we were staying. Last year we stayed at the Grand America and this year we were staying at the Little America. We got to our room about 8:30 that night and found out right away that we were not going to be happy. The minute we walked in the room, the smell was absolutely overpowering for me. I am somewhat a smell sensitive person and things have to smell good or it drives me crazy so when I walked into the room, it smelled awful!! Not a stinky kind of smell, but a old dampy kind of smell. It was probably one of the original rooms from when they first opened. My mom and dad actually stayed there on their anniversary 42 years ago!!! So the smell wasn't all that great. I really needed an air freshener! Second thing was that their were two beds. DOUBLE BEDS!!! Way to small for 2 adults to sleep in. Needless to say we each slept in our own different bed that night. And last of all, the heater (yes, the heater in June) was very noisy. Everytime it turned on it made this awful squeaky noise and kept Jay up most of the night. We called the front office and they said they had nothing available until the next day so we did not have a great first night.
The next morning (Wednesday) Jay left for the food show by 8:00 am and left me to take care of getting another room. Long story short we got another room which was 10 times better with a nice big king sized bed, a nice couch and chairs, and best of all - smelled so much better!!!!!!
That day I met up with my sister and my girls and we all went to a skating rink. Oh it brought back so many memories when I used to have some of my birthday parties at skating rinks. I had a lot of good memories. Anyway, this skating rink also had a lot of blow up slides and other fun things to play on.

Part of the roller rink went in an oval around the blow ups. As Kim and I were sitting there watching the girls play on the blow ups, this older guy (late 60's probably) started skating. Every time he came around and passed us he would start showing off. It was hilarious!!! He would start kicking his legs up and swaying to the music that was playing. You could tell that he had probably had been a real swinger of a guy at the skating rink in his younger years.




That night Associated foods had a concert at Abravanel Hall for all the people at the food show. Last year it was LeAnn Rimes and this year they had a comedian by the name of James P Connelly who was realy funny and then they had Collin Ray perform a concert. He was really good. The concert was a bit loud - we were on the 8th row, but he did a great job and seems to be a really nice guy.

James P Connelly. He has performed on Comedy Central, for the U.S. troops and various other places. Really funny guy.



Collin Ray was very entertaining, but his drummer was really entertaining. He pulled so many faces and was winking at the old ladies. He was hilarious to watch. He is also Collin's manager and VERY talented!


Thursday as Jay was at the food show again, I took the girls and Megan to the open house of the Ocre Mountain temple . I didn't take any pictures because it was raining and had been raining all week. The temple was beautiful! I have only been in the St. George and las Vegas temples and the Ocre Mtn temple was very different. Different but still beautiful. I hope the girls enjoyed it.
That night we went to a nice dinner provided by Associated Foods. It was in the grand ballroom of the Grand America. The food was really good. I actuall ytried the shrimp. For any of you that don't know me, I DO NOT eat any kind of sea food! It took me a while, but I finally got the guts to put it into my mouth. It wasn't so bad. Meaty, but not bad. I pretty much doused it in the sauce that it came with. Jay was proud of me.
Friday was the last day of the food show. As we headed out, we picked up the girls and headed for Brian Head to meet my family there. All of my family was there except Kim's husband and Jeff's wife and some of their kids. I have such a good time with my family. Kim is going to be moving to Texas so this was kind a a last get together for everyone before she leaves. We will sure miss her and her family when they leave.
We stayed in Brian Head until Sunday then came home. After being gone for 5 days, we were sure glad to be home.


FATHER'S DAY
Just want to wish my dad a Happy Father's Day and that I LOVE YOU very much. My dad is the greatest - always willing to help others and he would do anything for anybody. He has always been a great example to me. Thanks dad!
Also want to wish Jay a Happy Father's Day. He has been a great father to my kids and has loved them like his own. Thanks for being a great dad! Love ya!
Happy FAther's Day to all you fathers!!

1 comments:

Tiffini said...

What no picture of the old man J/K. Sounds like you had a great time!