Sunday, February 7, 2010

More birthday fun

The girls decided this year that they each wanted their own birthday party. Well, I thought it was only fair. Up until now they have always had to share their birthday party. Together, with Terry and Kim, they decided that Kennedie's party would be at our house for a couple of hours and then they would all go over to Terry and Kim's for a sleepover party for Kierra. I decided that I would feed the girls pizza for dinner until I found out that they were having pizza for lunch that day at school What to feed them? It was rainy so we really couldn't have a barbecue. As I was frantically searching on the internet for some good ideas for "tween" birthday parties, I came across an idea for a secret dinner. I have had these before back in the dating days, but never thought of doing one for my own kids parties. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, a secret dinner is when they order their food from a menu that has totally different food names so they don't really know what they are ordering. They even have to order their utensils.
We set a table up in the front room and the girls went to town decorating. They blew up balloons, taped streamers to the entryway to the kitchen and also decorated downstairs with streamers and balloons and stars. They did a great job and it looked very festive!
The main courses were semolina al dente (spaghetti w/sauce)and squid (hot dogs made to look like octopus) with noodles. It was a seven course meal. Kierra ended ordering the spaghetti with only a toothpick to eat it with. Some of the girls had to eat with spatulas and/or drink out of bowls. I think they all enjoyed themselves. They were pretty out of control at times. I had to go to baptism of one of the young women in our ward so I left them with Jay for 45 minutes. He said it was THE longesest 45 minutes of his life! They all banded together to see who could torment him the most. I really think he enjoyed it, but was grateful when I returned and we sent them on to Terry's house for an all-nighter! Our house is just not big enough for nine 10-11 year old girls. Kierra and Kennedie told us several times thank you for giving them this party.
Off to the basement playing games. They played apples to apples and twister. I think you the neighbors could hear them they were SO loud!



Kennedie FINALLY got to open her presents! Considering there is not much to choose from present wise here in Kanab, she got some nice things

2 comments:

Gull Family said...

looks like a lot of fun and what a good idea to have there own party's

Mills Family said...

WOW, what a great idea and fun party, they will always remember this party!